1 a short coat
2 an outer wrapping or casing; "phonograph records were sold in cardboard jackets"
3 (dentistry) an artificial crown fitted over a broken or decayed tooth [syn: jacket crown]
4 the outer skin of a potato
5 the tough metal shell casing for certain kinds of ammunition
1 provide with a thermally non-conducting cover; "The tubing needs to be jacketed"
2 put a jacket on; "The men were jacketed"
- Rhymes: -ækɪt
- A piece of clothing worn on the upper body outside a shirt or blouse, often waist length to thigh length.
- A piece of a man suit, beside trousers and, sometimes, waistcoat ; coat italbrac US
- A removable or replaceable protective or insulating cover for an object (eg a book, hot water tank.)
- A police record.
piece of clothing worn on the upper body outside a shirt or blouse
piece of a man suit
removable or replaceable protective or insulating cover for an object
- To enclose or
encase in a jacket or
- 1897, Alexander James Wallis-Tayler,
Motor Cars Or Power-carriages for Common Roads
- ...to...prevent...the loss of heat...there is also a layer of silicate cotton or slag wool. This latter material is also employed to jacket the chimney for a certain portion of its length.
- 1897, Alexander James Wallis-Tayler, Motor Cars Or Power-carriages for Common Roads
A jacket is a type of sleeved hip- or waist-length garment. It is very similar to a coat, and in some instances either term can be used for the same article; but a jacket is generally shorter, ending just below the waist, and often lighter. Some jackets are fashionable, while others serve as protective clothing.
The term is also used to refer to the choli or ravika, an upper-body garment worn with the sari by women on the Indian subcontinent.
A jacket is also the recognised terminology for the supporting legs and lattice framework, generally made of steel, of an offshore oil platform in the oil industry.
Types of jackets
- Arctic jacket, also known as an anorak or parka
- Ball jacket, often specified as a baseball jacket or football jacket, a casual jacket with knitted cuffs, collar, and waistband and a zippered front
- Chef's jacket
- Donkey jacket
- Down jacket
- Eisenhower jacket
- Eton jacket, similar to a tailcoat but cut off just below the waist, worn as the school uniform of boys under 5'4" at Eton College until 1976 and at many other English schools, particularly choir schools
- Flak jacket
- Fleece jacket, a casual jacket made of synthetic wool such as Polar Fleece
- Flight jacket, also known as a bomber jacket
- Jeans jacket, a casual jacket made of denim
- Kilt jacket, one of several styles of traditional Scottish jacket worn with the kilt, including the Argyll jacket, the Prince Charlie jacket, and a type of tweed jacket
- Leather jacket
- Mary jacket, a women's leather motorcycle jacket
- Nehru jacket
- Pea jacket, also known as a pea coat
- Rain jacket, a short rain coat
- Pajama jacket, also called a pajama top
- Reefing jacket or reefer, a type of pea coat
- Riding jacket, part of a riding habit
- rocker jacket, also known as a motorcycle jacket
- Satin jacket, a type of ball jacket made of satin and popular in the 1950s
- Smoking jacket
- Snorkel jacket, also known as a snorkel parka
- Spencer jacket, a high-waisted jacket dating to the Regency period
- Sports jacket, also known as a sports coat
- Suit jacket
- Track jacket, also known as a speed jacket
- Varsity jacket, also known as a letter jacket or letterman jacket
- Windbreaker (US, Japan) or windcheater (UK)
jacket in German: Jacke
jacket in Spanish: Chaqueta
jacket in French: Blouson
jacket in Japanese: ジャケット
jacket in Norwegian Nynorsk: Jakke
jacket in Russian: Куртка
Eton jacket, Leatherette, Leatheroid, Mao jacket, Smyth sewing, backing, bandage, bandaging, bark, bibliopegy, binder, binder board, binding, blazer, blouse, body coat, bolero, bomber jacket, bonnet, book cloth, book cover, book jacket, bookbinding, bookcase, boot, bran, breech, cap, capsule, capuchin, car coat, case, casemaking, casing-in, chaff, chaqueta, chesterfield, claw hammer, claw-hammer coat, cloak, coat, coif, collating, collating mark, corn shuck, cornhusk, cover, cutaway coat, cuticle, dermis, dinner jacket, doublet, dress coat, duffel, dust cover, dust jacket, envelope, envelopment, fell, fingertip coat, fitted coat, fleece, flesh, folding, footband, frock, frock coat, fur, furring, gathering, gift wrapping, gluing-off, gown, greatcoat, hard binding, hat, headband, hide, hood, hull, husk, imitation fur, imitation leather, integument, jerkin, jumper, jupe, leather, leather paper, library binding, lining, lining-up, loden coat, mackinaw, mantle, mechanical binding, mess jacket, midicoat, monkey jacket, niggerhead, outer layer, outer skin, overcoat, palea, parka, pea jacket, peel, pelt, peltry, perfect binding, plastic binding, pod, rawhide, reefer, rind, rounding, sack, saddle stitching, san benito, sewing, sheath, shell, shirt, shoe, shuck, side sewing, signature, ski jacket, skin, skins, sleeve waistcoat, slipcase, slipcover, smashing, smoking jacket, sock, soft binding, spiketail coat, spiral binding, stamping, stapling, stocking, swallowtail, tabard, tail coat, tailband, tails, tegument, tipping, topcoat, trimming, vair, watch coat, windbreaker, wire stitching, woolly, wrap, wrapper, wrapping